Saturday 15 April 2017

The UK Are Breaking Down Walls...All By Themselves.

"I have been looking forward to writing this post for SO long."

America's reaction to UK rapper, Giggs after hearing his features on Drake's 'More Life' album was surprising at first, then I remembered the rap game has changed. People's expectations are way lower and what people don't understand they dislike.

Giggs' Rocking his 'OVO' Cap Courtesy of @OfficialGiggs
"I have always been into Hip Hop. I haven't just jumped on this new wave."



via GIPHY

I'm from the Biggie, Lil Kim, Tupac era. So I look at music differently. I listen and research music. "Shit needs to make sense."



I'm not writing this as a Giggs supporter, "although I am", but as a follower of the Hip Hop genre and seeing how much it has changed in both the US and the UK. What is now required to make a song, a hit song, is so much different to 20 years ago. Forget about a song having lyrical content, A killer flow and a dope beat, "in that order." Now it's all about a dope beat, a dope beat and an even doper beat, "in that order."



Expectations for artist have also lowered. The candid use of Ghostwriters was never a part of the Hip Hop scene. Ghostwriters were a major taboo. If you used a Ghostwriter, you told nobody. Another taboo is the blatant imitation of your fellow peers. I understand inspiration and all that good stuff, but I don't understand taking somebody's flow and pretending that it's yours.

"You're going to see this loads."
Whether I am speaking about an American artist or a UK one I'm going to keep it real. Seeing the reception Giggs received from a lot  of American's after they heard him on Drake's track "KMT" made me pissed. I have always credited Giggs for making me listen to UK artist, be it UK Hip Hop or Grime. I have always looked at him as someone to look out for, he's got something.

There wouldn't of been any American artist that would of been suitable on this song.

If Drake was going to use anybody from the UK to be on this track, which you can tell has been inspired by the slang talk in the UK, it had to of been Giggs.

'KMT' was definitely made with Giggs in mind (and XXXTentacion). He had the perfect flow and the best punchlines for a song like this.


UK Grime Artist, Skepta had a whole interlude to himself, which I will say I was pleasantly impressed with, he done very well, very 'Skepta-esque'. A 140bpm beat, produced by Nana Rogues, with clear, straightforward lyrics. If this doesn't say Skepta, I don't know what else does.

"My Mood When I hear This Song"

Drake is all about the UK at the moment.

Drake with Liverpool Football player, Daniel Sturridge

Drake and Chelsea Football player, John Terry
He was always going to have a UK artist or producer on his album. This is what Drake does.



The UK are stepping up and kicking butt on their own merit and I just hope that they know they don't have to rely on an American or Canadian artist for Co-Signage. 👀

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

As mentioned earlier, you can easily modify and extend these CSS rules to adjust the design and layout of the related posts entries. In case you're not familiar with CSS, keep the original rules—intact. And, right below these CSS rules, add the following JavaScript code. It's the core related-posts section code necessary for its functioning.