Saturday 26 November 2016

Cultural (Mis)Appropriation At It's Finest!!!

I cannot be the only one seeing this?  I cannot be the only person that thinks that this is not okay?

Are "we" really just sitting back, quoting a couple 'Hashtags' on a Saturday night (I'm guilty) and 'LOL'ing' whilst she raps off beat, with her annoying catchphrase and stupid-ass pose?

When I say "We", I mean, "Us", as Black people and people who respect the culture and the work put in to make what we have created a success. Have we just sat back and allowed this to continue, without saying a word. 

"Thank you, Professor Green for saying something and not being afraid to speak your mind, because some of these rappers had a platform called the MOBO's to say something but said nothing."

Professor Green speaks the truth on the Xtra Factor.

I've been watching Black British (Thank you, BBC) for the past three or four weeks, and then on a Saturday night, when it's time to see credible contestants competing on a credible singing show, I'm made to watch, A fraud and a lie.


Honey Fraudster G
"When I say Honey, You say G, Honey. GO, Honey. GO"

That's what the G should stand for. GO!!!  "What does it stand for anyway?"


X-Factor Judges
Thanks to Nicole Scherzinger and Sharon Osbourne, who I actually like and Simon Cowell who I used to have a decent level of respect for, I am being made to see this woman take the piss out of my culture and misrepresent the genre that I love.

"Simon, why???"

Every Saturday she gets a standing ovation. What for? Bad Karaoke?
I do not take what she does as a joke. I take it more seriously.

Just because she's not wearing black face, it doesn't make it acceptable.

Every Saturday for the past eight weeks we have seen this:

Definition of what Honey G does every Saturday night.

This woman is a fraud. She doesn't talk like she's from "North Weezy" in real-life.
No this woman speaks very posh. Well according to former contestant, Ryan Lawrie, who said this after being eliminated from the show after going head-to-head with Honey G and the judges opting for him to leave.

Ryan also said Honey G keeps herself to herself - sign of an imposter. She doesn't want that "Lady Eminem" mask to slip.
via GIPHY

"Why does she talk the way she does?" "Because this is what is expected from a UK rap artist."

"Why does she dress the way she does?" "Because this is what is expected from a 90's rap parody."

When it was funny.
Ever since seeing Honey G, I've asked myself, "If this was a black person doing the same thing as Honey G, would they still be in the competition?"

We all know the answer to that.
via GIPHY

They would of been voted off in the first week, furthermore they wouldn't of even made it onto the show.

Let me add. If Honey G was a good rapper. Who at least created her own lyrics and spoke how she really did, I would respect that.

If she took off those glasses and that hat and showed the person that she shows her mother, I would believe her love for the music but this isn't the case. She's taken a genre that is doing well in the UK and become a rapping gimmick to distract people from what real UK Hip Hop is.


UK Rapper Giggs

Wretch 32
"I smell industry fuckery"

I smell our genre getting raped and diluted like what happened to our ancestors years ago. They cannot do that with us anymore so they take the things which we hold dear to us."

I am fed up with the culture being looked at as illiterate and "ghetto".

I asked earlier what does the 'G' stand for in Honey G.

It stands for guilty, and guilty she is, of cultural appropriation.

If you read what cultural appropriation means in the image above then you will know why I say this. She (dominant culture) has taken music and gestures from the black culture (minority) and used it to her advantage, without any respect or genuine love.

This isn't the first time I've spoken about the black culture being taken and used by others to gain a platform (Charlie Sloth) and that wouldn't be so bad if when a black person used their own culture, they were given the same opportunities.

Can you imagine how many genuine rappers applied for X-Factor, but got no where?

No a real rapper isn't getting through because that's not "entertainment."

Relley C
My favourite contestant on X-Factor this year was Relley C and to see that someone like Honey G is still in the competition and Relley isn't makes me wonder, is this really what the industry is about?

A lil message from Jessie Williams:

Excerpt from Jessie Williams' speech at the BET Awards this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

As mentioned earlier, you can easily modify and extend these CSS rules to adjust the design and layout of the related posts entries. In case you're not familiar with CSS, keep the original rules—intact. And, right below these CSS rules, add the following JavaScript code. It's the core related-posts section code necessary for its functioning.