Friday 29 July 2016

The UK Music Scene.

"Freeing the realness."

A couple days ago I saw something which involved one of my favs, American radio and TV presenter, Charlamagne the GodBBC 1xtra radio pretender, Charlie Sloth and UK "Grime" artist, Chipmunk.


Charlamagne Tha God
Chipmunk was tweeting about Charlie and BBC 1xtra and some "lost" footage from an interview with Charlie and Charlamagne.


In the video that has been uploaded, Charlamagne was asked to give his opinion on a few UK rapper's performances on Charlie Sloth's show, 'Fire in the Booth' and Charlamagne's opinion about UK rapper, Bugzy Malone.



This happening made me think about the UK scene and what was been happening. Has there been any progression? Whose standing out?

Back in 2008 I started listening to Grime and UK hiphop, over the years I have listened to bits and pieces, but yesterday I had a full 12 hour binge of youtube - studying whose new in the scene, who has potential and whose just not there yet.

Obviously whilst studying the new bunch, you need to refer to the olders and see if there's really any growth - me personally speaking, "I can more vibe to Giggs then the new lot, because I can feel the hunger, the passion and that's what someone who is into music wants to hear."



I want lyrical content, I want word play, I want a dope flow, all that on a dope beat makes a banger in my eyes.
Ms Banks
A couple female artist stood out to me, one in particular was Ms Banks.



She's got lyrical content, a dope flow, and can hold her own.

Hip Hop whether in the US or the UK, is dominated by men - so when I see a woman step up and hold it down, I have to respect that.

I feel like the guys in the scene need to recognise the female artist - why aren't they stepping up and bringing good female artist to the forefront - like Lil Wayne did for Nicki, Fat Joe done for Remy Ma, Biggie done for Lil Kim and Jay done for Foxy.

In an industry which is reliant on sexulalising females, it is really good to see a girl not relying solely on her ass and titties. Of course as a women you have been blessed with what nature has given you but for that to be all you are about is actually quite poor.

Another artist who I think is good lyrically is Nadia Rose. I just feel like everyone is in a rush to be signed and are not honing their skills, finding themselves before the labels try to conform you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts

As mentioned earlier, you can easily modify and extend these CSS rules to adjust the design and layout of the related posts entries. In case you're not familiar with CSS, keep the original rules—intact. And, right below these CSS rules, add the following JavaScript code. It's the core related-posts section code necessary for its functioning.